Author Topic: Uranium carbide  (Read 7959 times)

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Uranium carbide
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
Does anyone have some uranium carbide (UC?) material that they can share with me, or at least make a k-ratio measurement for me, relative to a carbon standard? I'm trying to compare Penepma Monte-Carlo models with our current analytical models and getting lots of different answers!

It could be a depleted uranium carbide of course...
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
Re: Uranium carbide
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
I had some UC samples once, but they were not very good to measure. I remember they were also not homogeneous, more a mixture of two UCx phases. I need to check in my data... Carbon was not such a pleasure...

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
I contacted IBI Labs and found out that uranium carbide is pyrophoric, but thorium carbide would work as well for my purposes and is stable.

They are asking $500 for a gram for thorium carbide.  I don't need that much material for my measurement so I could share a gram with you and Philipp if our department could bill you each for say $150 each? 

Would that work at all?
john

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:43:34 AM »
Interesting idea. I have not thought about that.
Question: Do you have a sample preparation lab? Could this lab embed and polish this material into one of our standard holders? Then it might be worhtwhile. And I might find some cash.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
Interesting idea. I have not thought about that.
Question: Do you have a sample preparation lab? Could this lab embed and polish this material into one of our standard holders? Then it might be worhtwhile. And I might find some cash.

Yes, we have a prep lab.  We can embed this in an acrylic block and polish it, but I'm not sure if we should mess with your stds block.  I guess it depends on what is in your standard holder (we probably don't want to polish plutonium!).  You don't have a prep lab?

I would much prefer to mount our piece of ThC2 ourselves and you mount your piece yourself.   Better for all I would think.
john

wrigke

• Professor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
I would need to check on the difficulty of the paperwork involved in making this purchase.  It certainly cannot be done by just billing us.  That is considered an illegal procurement.

Honestly if the price is that low for UC, my preference would be to purchase that, mount it and make the measurements.  I'd gladly share the data.  The fact that it is pyrophoric is not a concern for me.  We have an argon glove box that we use for pyrophoric materials.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
I would need to check on the difficulty of the paperwork involved in making this purchase.  It certainly cannot be done by just billing us.  That is considered an illegal procurement.

Honestly if the price is that low for UC, my preference would be to purchase that, mount it and make the measurements.  I'd gladly share the data.  The fact that it is pyrophoric is not a concern for me.  We have an argon glove box that we use for pyrophoric materials.

Hi Karen,
The price for the ThC2 is $500 per gram.  The price for UC is $850 per gram (95% purity).

I spoke with Alex at IBI Labs.  I think I'll stick with the ThC2 as it doesn't catch on fire in air!
john

Philipp Poeml

• Professor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:06 PM »
Hi John, no we do not have a prep lab. We do everything ourselves, or we ask a company do embed our standards or a university lab. We do not have a standard block, all our standards are individually mounted in little brass cups. I could send you a cup and your prep lab could mount the ThC2 in it, so it is just a single operation and there is no involvement of any contamination whatsoever, apart from the Th. That is how we proceed with other companies: We send them our little brass cups, and they send us back the purchased standards each mounted in an individual cup.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
Hi John, no we do not have a prep lab. We do everything ourselves, or we ask a company do embed our standards or a university lab. We do not have a standard block, all our standards are individually mounted in little brass cups. I could send you a cup and your prep lab could mount the ThC2 in it, so it is just a single operation and there is no involvement of any contamination whatsoever, apart from the Th. That is how we proceed with other companies: We send them our little brass cups, and they send us back the purchased standards each mounted in an individual cup.

Hi Philipp,
Ah, OK.

Let me talk to Julie and see if she would mind mounting up two samples.
john

Mike Matthews

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
Hi John,

I'd be interested in a wee bit of the ThC too, if there's enough to go round.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
Hi John,

I'd be interested in a wee bit of the ThC too, if there's enough to go round.

Hi Mike,
That should be possible, but it will be ThC2 I think.   It's water sensitive, though not pyrophoric like UC and UC2.   :-\
john
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:14:12 PM by Probeman »

Mike Matthews

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:18 AM »
Hi John,

Did you try the ThC2 in the end? DOes it look fully dense and homogenous. Phil Poml posted that the UC wasn't homogeneos but if the ThC2 is I'll look into getting some.

Mike

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
Hi Mike,
Sorry to say I got distracted (by other shiny objects!), and never actually purchased the ThC2 from IBI labs.

But for $500 I think you should try it out and let us know how it is.   :)
john
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:00:08 AM by Probeman »