Author Topic: standards which should be made, how to read the published info  (Read 1786 times)

crystalgrower

• Professor
standards which should be made, how to read the published info
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
I would like to point out that methods of synthesis cited in recent threads break down into three groups:

A Those that require a regular furnace with max temperature of about 900C

B Those that require a special furnace and special electrical outlet, that run up to about 1500C

C Those that require hydrothermal (high pressure heating) and the skill to seal the capsules before filling

Option A is entirely safe with domestic wiring in a garage.  Options B and C are research or industrial only.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: standards which should be made, how to read the published info
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:14 PM »
I would like to point out that methods of synthesis cited in recent threads break down into three groups:

A Those that require a regular furnace with max temperature of about 900C

B Those that require a special furnace and special electrical outlet, that run up to about 1500C

C Those that require hydrothermal (high pressure heating) and the skill to seal the capsules before filling

Option A is entirely safe with domestic wiring in a garage.  Options B and C are research or industrial only.

Hi Irene,
Of the various standard materials that people have been discussing recently, which can be efficiently synthesized in group A furnaces?
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

crystalgrower

• Professor
Re: standards which should be made, how to read the published info
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
Right now the Cs candidate Cs4Sr(PO3)6  is getting all its ducks in a row.  As soon as crucible etc arrive there can be some hot testing.  I have a lot of confidence because I have made similar before.

Out of the rest of the priority list, very few could be made below 900C.  Sorry.  The very high temperature furnace is significantly more effort than rewiring a garage power supply for a TIG welder.  The issue of flux contamination remains observable in, for example, monazite structured orthophosphates.  Pb flux, Pb contamination,  Mo flux, Mo contamination.  But monazites can be made at 150C and you get single crystals.

I had a similar discussion locally some years ago, after I made some nice NiP2O6 at 400C.  The feedback then was "it ain't a silicate, don't bother".  My sense is that silicates are best prepared by hydrothermal process, because those have been shown to be efficient and clean.  Sorry that I cannot offer anything more positive.