Author Topic: sputter coater plasma colour  (Read 5708 times)

Ben Buse

• Professor
sputter coater plasma colour
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
Hi,

On a gold sputter coater - does anyone know why the plasma colour changes from blue to pink during sputtering? Is this normal?

Thanks

Ben

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: sputter coater plasma colour
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
On a gold sputter coater - does anyone know why the plasma colour changes from blue to pink during sputtering? Is this normal?

Hi Ben,
I found this wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-discharge_lamp

On nitrogen they say "Similar to argon but duller, more pink; at high peak currents bright blue-white", so I'm guessing you're seeing nitrogen from an air leak?
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Les Moore

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
Could it be that you have sputtered through the gold coating on the target and started on the copper.  Alternatively, as mentioned above, you don't have an Ar supply but an air supply.

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
No it's not going through the gold target.

So I guess it purges with argon at the beginning before sputtering, then all the argon gets used up and it changes color? Would that do it?

Thanks

Ben

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
no, you most likely have a leak - ours does this (but it is 45 years old....).  When its purging, the vac pump is running - when its coating, it seals off the vac pump and does its thang.  But its leakier than a sieve, hence as coating 'progresses' it gets more pink. As our timer is broken, I judge the thickness by the plasma colour.......  Yes, I'm trying to buy something more.....modern.

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
no, you most likely have a leak - ours does this (but it is 45 years old....).  When its purging, the vac pump is running - when its coating, it seals off the vac pump and does its thang.  But its leakier than a sieve, hence as coating 'progresses' it gets more pink. As our timer is broken, I judge the thickness by the plasma colour.......  Yes, I'm trying to buy something more.....modern.

I agree with Jon. I think you have an air leak.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!