Author Topic: Apparent occlusion of X-ray signal by aperture rings  (Read 3814 times)

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Apparent occlusion of X-ray signal by aperture rings
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »
Good morning, everyone:
Has anyone ever used a Thermo NSS 7 on a JEOL 8200 (or similar) and seen occlusion 'arcs' across the elemental displays as you change the Z-height of the stage?  I think it may be occlusion of the signal by aperture rings that have shifted in the spectrometer itself.  I have attached a short animation of what shows on the elemental map display for Si Ka. Any help or comments would be most welcome!  Thanks very much!

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
Re: Apparent occlusion of X-ray signal by aperture rings
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »
Good morning, everyone:
Has anyone ever used a Thermo NSS 7 on a JEOL 8200 (or similar) and seen occlusion 'arcs' across the elemental displays as you change the Z-height of the stage?  I think it may be occlusion of the signal by aperture rings that have shifted in the spectrometer itself.  I have attached a short animation of what shows on the elemental map display for Si Ka. Any help or comments would be most welcome!  Thanks very much!

Hi Dan,

I've never seen anything like this.  Why is the x-ray image field of view "round"?  What does the x-ray map look like at the correct stage height?

How much change in Z-height are we talking about here?  Microns?  Millimeters?

john
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:55:16 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Dan MacDonald

• Professor
Re: Apparent occlusion of X-ray signal by aperture rings
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
Good morning, John:

The field is round because the sample is the JEOL standard mount with a round disk of Si in the middle of the field, and the map is for Si only, thus making the rest of the field dark (the mount body is made of brass, so no Si in it).  At the correct height, the X-ray map would look like a solid circle of green (in this example), with no 'vignette' at the lower left and upper right corners, and no apparent 'dark band' that you see migrating across the field in the animation.  You would just see a dark arcing band across part of the field, depending on how out of focus the sample is (i.e., not on the sweet spot).  The Z-height change is from about 12.838 mm (first frame in the animation) to about 9.500 mm in the last frame.  The problem presented itself when we found out that the Z-height focal planes for the WD and ED systems were not coincident, even though they are supposed to be synchronous.  At such extremes in Z-height, I would guess that the vignetting of the corners might be expected owing to the variation of the take-off angle, but what is most baffling to me is the appearance of the dark arcing band - I think this band may be an aperture ring that has shifted in the detector, but I'm not sure.

Best regards

Dan