Author Topic: Can I put an Etched sample in the probe?  (Read 4276 times)

D.

• Professor
Can I put an Etched sample in the probe?
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Hi All,

I have a client who says he uses "Acetic Peroxide" to etch his industrial samples for chemical polishing. Mechanical polishing does not produce a good enough polish for his purposes. This is followed by a rinse/wipes of isopropanol and air drying. At face value I don't see a problem sticking these samples into the probe, as I assume that the isopropanol removes the chemical etchant,  but I throught I'd get some opinions first. Apparently this is a known metallographic technique.

So....OK idea to fry the sample under the electron beam... or not? Any chance leftover etchant might vaporise and corrode the instrument/destroy the vacuum?

Thanks,
D.

BenjaminWade

• Professor
Re: Can I put an Etched sample in the probe?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Hi D
Just my two cents. I am by no means any expert but I have analysed a number of metallographic samples in the probe that have been etched with no adverse affects. As you say just make sure they have cleaned it properly.

What I will say though is etched samples can be a pain to analyse though depending on what they are targeting. Typically metallographers etch their sample to bring out textures that wouldn't necessarily be visible on a mechanically polished sample. Depending on the etching technique this can preferentially attack some metal phases over other. Basically creating the Himalayas in their sample, which can make it hard to analyse depending on the phases they are targeting. Have fun~

cheers
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:04:31 PM by BenjaminWade »

Gareth D Hatton

• Professor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
I have also put etch samples in the probe with no problem.  I would mirror the warning that any topography would have an effect on quantification but if you are just doing intensity maps there is little problem.

jon_wade

• Professor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
a mild etch can help find crystalline phases (e.g olivine in glass) when having to use an ion probe where the optics are inclined/not great.  I've used a mild acid -  coke  -  in the past.  :)

D.

• Professor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »
Thanks all, I'll be sure to report back when the probe dies :)

P.S. Yes, it's for non-quantitative mapping.