Author Topic: EDS/WDS integration on JEOL probes  (Read 10649 times)

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
EDS/WDS integration on JEOL probes
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
Hi all,

we are currently looking into options for upgrading the old EDS system on our JXA-8900R with one of those nifty new SDD detectors. The old system is nicely integrated into our JEOL software but not in the PfE. Obviously I would like to keep some kind of integration but with the new systems, there seem to be some extra hoops to jump through. I heard and read now of various solutions at different price points down to just exporting the data and feeding it into the software as discussed here on the forum elsewhere.

I would be interested to hear about the experiences from other labs and how the integration was facilitated (switch boxes, etc.) and how happy/unhappy you are with it. Especially, I would like to hear from JXA-8900 labs but newer models are welcome too because portability of the system to a newer machine down the line would be preferable.

Thanks!
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
Re: EDS/WDS integration on JEOL probes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
Does anyone know what this "static filter" is used for on a JEOL 8200?
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
John Hanchar's Memorial University (MUN) probe lab with a JEOL 8230, Probe for EPMA (not installed yet) and Thermo NSS:
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Anette von der Handt

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • UMN Probelab
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
Does anyone know what this "static filter" is used for on a JEOL 8200?

Hi, I do not have a JEOL 8200 and I can just guess if it is the same thing but I have something similar on my 8900 which is the "electron trap". It sort of looks like a hub (of a wheel) with cutouts toward the spectrometers and its function is to reduce noise. My BSE detector is integrated in it.
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

Paul Carpenter

• Professor
    • Washington University Analytical Facilities
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:24 PM »
Confirmed. It is to reduce or eliminate BSE from entering the X-ray detector. On the Jeol 733 there was a switch to turn the static filter on and off to confirm that it was working (there is a clear difference in signal for the detector when at a low spectrometer position with more of a direct line of sight to the excitation volume). There is no switch on newer instruments.

Since you brought this up, sometimes a wire can dangle in front of the WDS path so you need to take a look at the static filter and port situation from time to time.

Paul Carpenter
Paul Carpenter
Washington University St. Louis

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
JEOL now reports that the have added back in the WDS TTL pulse outputs for combined WDS and EDS ROI stage and beam mapping on their 8230 and 8530 platforms.

That is good, however, a new technology is about to make all WDS and EDS ROI mapping obsolete.

Check this link:

http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=400.msg2174#msg2174

and stay tuned for further developments...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:50:05 AM by Probeman »
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 04:26:47 AM »
Hi John,

What's the current situation regarding integration of the Jeol EDS detector on the Jeol 8530F. I thought I read on a post somewhere you where talking to Jeol about this - has it led anywhere?

Thanks

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »
What's the current situation regarding integration of the Jeol EDS detector on the Jeol 8530F. I thought I read on a post somewhere you where talking to Jeol about this - has it led anywhere?

Hi Ben,
Yes. We've agreed on an EDS API which includes calls for single spectrum acquisition and also EDS spectrum imaging and WDS synchronized mapping, and finally fast video image acquisition calls. 

The last thing Masaki Morita wrote to me was last month when they said they were preparing to send me the DLLs for integration in Probe for EPMA, but I have not yet received anything yet. Hopefully they will send it soon...
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

glennpoirier

• Professor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
Great news! Let me know if you need testers.

Glenn

Ben Buse

• Professor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
Hi John,

That sounds very promising

Ben

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:16 PM »
We are currently in beta testing with integrating the JEOL EDS (8230/8530) system and Probe for EPMA for combined EDS and WDS quant.  Many of our users have already integrated EDS/WDS in Probe for EPMA using Thermo and Bruker EDS systems, but soon, JEOL 8230/8530 EDS system users will also be able to integrate for EDS/WDS quant in PFE.

Recently we have found that some users had already modified the JEOL EDS keywords in their PFE configuration files (Probewin.ini), to indicate that they have a JEOL EDS system on their instrument.  Until now, this caused no problems as there was no code to support the JEOL EDS. But since implementing the new JEOL EDS API we've found that a couple of users have needed to edit their probewin.ini file to temporarily turn off the EDS interface until the have the complete set of files from us (Thermo and Bruker EDS systems are not affected by these changes).

So, if after you update Probe for EPMA, you get a warning about the EDS IP address field being blank in the probewin.ini file, simply edit the [hardware] section of the probewin.ini file as follows:

EDSSpectraInterfacePresent=0    ; non-zero EDS spectrum interface feature available (Thermo, Bruker, etc)
EDSSpectraInterfaceType=6    ; 0 = Demo, 1 = Unused, 2 = Bruker, 3 = Oxford, 4 = Unused, 5 = Thermo NSS, 6 = JEOL
EDSSpectraNetIntensityInterfaceType=6    ; 0 = Demo, 1 = Unused, 2 = Bruker, 3 = Oxford, 4 = Unused, 5 = Thermo NSS, 6 = JEOL

Once we are ready to release the new JEOL EDS API, contact us and we will help you get your JEOL 8230/8530 EDS system fully integrated with Probe for EPMA.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
john
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:05:08 AM by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
I am pleased to announce that due to the efforts of our friends at JEOL Japan, our JEOL 8x30 beta tester (Glenn Poirier at Ottawa) and myself, we are ready to release our new JEOL EDS OEM integration with Probe for EPMA. 

This new interface allows JEOL 8230 and 8350 instruments equipped with the JEOL OEM EDS system, to integrate Probe for EPMA with their JEOL EDS for full EDS spectrum acquisition for each WDS data point. This integration also allows for quantification of WDS and EDS intensities at the same time.  These EDS-WDS integration capabilities are very similar to our existing integrations with Bruker (Esprit) and Thermo (NSS and Pathfinder) EDS systems.

Attached below are some screen shots and a flyer with some information.  Feel  free to ask technical questions here, but please contact us directly at Probe Software if you would like a quotation for an existing or new Probe for EPMA installation.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »
As many of you already know, Probe for EPMA communicates with EDS hardware for integrated WDS and EDS acquisition and quantitative analysis on JEOL (and Cameca) EPMA instruments. EDS systems supported include Thermo NSS and Pathfinder, Bruker Esprit (Quantax) and JEOL OEM EDS on the 8230/8530 instruments.

JEOL's most recent EPMA instruments (iHP200F and iSP100) have a new EDS hardware and software interface (MEC), which is now implemented and tested, as shown here in a screen shot from the new JEOL iHP200F instrument at Cal Tech:

As with the other EDS interfaces, this new EDS interface in Probe for EPMA supports control of process time, acquisition of spectra and extraction of EDS net intensities for full standards based WDS and EDS integrated acquisition and quantitative analysis.

If you any questions regarding running Probe for EPMA on your JEOL iSP100 or iHP200F instrument, please feel free to ask me.
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 02:17:51 PM »
JEOL's most recent EPMA instruments (iHP200F and iSP100) have a new EDS hardware and software interface (MEC), which is now implemented and tested, as shown here in a screen shot from the new JEOL iHP200F instrument at Cal Tech:

The latest version of Probe for EPMA v.13.2.6 now prompts the user if they closed the EDS window in the JEOL PC-SEM software when acquiring EDS spectra in Probe for EPMA. Closing the JEOL EDS window causes the JEOL MEC EDS interface to become inaccessible from Probe for EPMA.

This latest version now prompts the user to "not do that" and suggests closing the Probe for EPMA software and trying again (and keeping the JEOL EDS window open as long as they plan to acquire more EDS spectra from Probe for EPMA).
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 09:52:09 PM »

Assuming the top (north) is 0 degrees and going clockwise, what angle is the JEOL EDS detector?
The only stupid question is the one not asked!