Author Topic: Intermittent Socket Timeout Errors  (Read 1140 times)

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of Michigan
Intermittent Socket Timeout Errors
« on: March 01, 2017, 06:16:04 pm »
Dear colleagues,

In recent combined automated EDS/WDS acquisitions on our microprobe, we have been seeing automations intermittently aborted by the following error:

ERROR in ThermoEDSSpectraWriteSystem : Error number  5 returned from Thermo EDS interface (Socket timeout error) when calling function TEVB_PutSpectrum

Description of conditions follows:
- Probe is a JEOL 8500, using PFE (v11.8.3) to acquire WDS data and ThermoNSS (v4.1.85) to acquire EDS data.
- No images are being acquired, just EDS and WDS data. We don't use the Thermo interface for imaging via PFE.
- PFE and NSS are running on separate computers. I can connect to NSS from the PFE computer via the TestEDS app without problems, and outwith the intermittent timeout errors, EDS acquisition via PFE appears to work normally. All DLL's appear to be in the correct folders and function properly.
- This error appears intermittently - sometimes long automations (>12 hours) will complete without aborting due to this error, while at other times the automation will abort after only a couple of points.
- The "Measure beam current before EDS acquisition" box is not checked, as per this thread: http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=136.msg2150#msg2150
- Re-booting both the Thermo and PFE computers seems to help prevent the error in post-reboot automations, although I can't say this with certainty.
- Both PFE and Thermo computers are running 64-bit Win7.

I was wondering if any other users had encountered similar problems, and if so, how they dealt with them. Thanks in advance for any info, it's much appreciated.

Thanks,
OKN

Gseward

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
Re: Intermittent Socket Timeout Errors
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:27 pm »
Owen,

I see what appears to be  the same intermittent error. I have PFE and NSS on the same PC. I used to have two separate PCs, and I'd say I saw the issue more often, but i can't be sure.

Gareth

Probeman

• Emeritus
  • Never sleeps...
    • John Donovan
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:43:15 pm »
Owen,

I see what appears to be  the same intermittent error. I have PFE and NSS on the same PC. I used to have two separate PCs, and I'd say I saw the issue more often, but i can't be sure.

Gareth

Owen and Gareth: what version of NSS are you using?  I'm using v. 4 of NSS on the same computer with PFE and I'm not seeing any socket timeout issues, though I think I might have seen some a few years ago with an earlier version of NSS. 
john
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Owen Neill

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
    • Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of Michigan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:36:49 am »
Thank you both for following up. I'm running NSS v4.1.85 on the Thermo side.

Thanks,
OKN

Gseward

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:57:13 am »
John,

Was there a conclusion to this topic?

If there was some action taken to potentially minimise the occurrence of time-out errors,  perhaps it could be documented here?

Cheers,

Gareth

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
  • Other duties as assigned...
    • Probe Software
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:49:47 am »
Have you been seeing any timeout issues with the version of NSS that you are currently running?

I've recently started running the new Thermo Pathfinder v. 1.2, but I haven't done any long integrated WDS-EDS acquisitions yet.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

"Not Absolutely Certain, Yet Reliable"

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »
Hi Gareth,
I'm running a 700+ point grid with EDS spectrum acquisition overnight using the latest Thermo Pathfinder 1.2.72 software so we'll see if I get any socket timeouts.

But I ran EDS spectrum acquisition on standards and wavescans all day and did not see anything amiss so far.

By the way, I noticed that Thermo has an auto mode for maximum energy cutoff, so I will add that to the software tonight.
john
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

John Donovan

• Administrator
  • Emeritus
    • Probe Software
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:33 pm »
Hi Gareth,
I ran 500+ WDS points with full spectrum EDS acquisitions using Thermo Pathfinder last night and it was still running fine when I came in this morning.

So either the problem is specific to your network setup, or it's a problem that was fixed in Pathfinder.
john
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:35:40 pm by John Donovan »
John J. Donovan, Pres. 
(541) 343-3400

SteveSeddio

• Post Doc
  • Setting the mood for microanalysis...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:15 pm »
Hi Gareth and Owen,

Could you please confirm that the errors you are seeing are only regarding the calling of the function TEVB_PutSpectrum?

Thanks!
-Steve
Your friendly, neighborhood, EPMA-minded EDS guy.
stephen.seddio@thermofisher.com

kthompson75

• Post Doc
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
Time out errors do occur. Typically they are not caused by the software application that times out. Instead, they are generally system related. We typically allow 10 seconds for a response to be sent and acknowledged after a command is issued. If the system gets busy doing something else, that 10 seconds can elapse pretty quickly. The result is a time-out. These time-outs are necessary because if the system has become truly disconnected, the user will regain control after the time-out.

We can always extend the timeout duration of certain functions if requested.

SteveSeddio

• Post Doc
  • Setting the mood for microanalysis...
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:56:47 am »
These socket timeout issues should no longer be a problem in the Pathfinder 1.3.22 release.
Your friendly, neighborhood, EPMA-minded EDS guy.
stephen.seddio@thermofisher.com