Author Topic: EMP lab - user fees survey 2014  (Read 2725 times)

Julien

• Professor
  • The truth is out there...
    • Geoloweb - J. Allaz personal website
EMP lab - user fees survey 2014
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:45:43 pm »
Dear microprobologist,

Here is the result of recent survey I run for EMP user fees. Enjoy,

Julien
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:48:00 pm by Julien Allaz »

D.

• Professor
Re: EMP lab - user fees survey 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:46 am »
Hi Julien,

Good job! (I haven't browsed around the site in a couple years)

In future, perhaps you should include a survey of what consumables and service contracts cost, and see if people will respond. Perhaps that will turn out to be a good "cost-of-living" indicator to compare labs from different states and different countries...

Cheers,
Deon.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:12:59 am by D. »

Julien

• Professor
  • The truth is out there...
    • Geoloweb - J. Allaz personal website
Re: EMP lab - user fees survey 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:52:02 am »
Thanks Deon,

Yes, this is a good idea, maybe next time. However, this survey took me so long, that I'm not sure I will run it soon... Maybe in 5 years ;) Problem is that relatively few people replied (many answers regarding user fee rates were found on the web), and once we get into salary aspect, sometime people just don't want to talk about it. Only 13 researchers gave me their salary, and the majority did not answer this question.

It is also a complex situation, and it would be difficult to analyze the results to come to a realistic "cost-of-living" with a small amount of response. Is the department/university/company paying for something, and if so, what: salary, service contract, repairs, consumables...? How much? Pricing is relatively fixed by JEOL and Cameca, but their are third-party service provider, however some labs receives discount (loyalty or long contract or reduction in service [the silver, gold, platinum levels...], etc.). Are the repair "home made" (I know several lab manager who almost never have JEOL/Cameca on site, they fixed their instrument themselves)? Is the lab manager 100% employed and 100% paid or mostly "soft money"? Is the University charging fees (IDC / F&A) to external researcher and/or industry/private users? etc. All this can potentially affect not only the rate applied in the lab, but also the manager salary.

Cheers,

Julien
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:34:47 am by John Donovan »